Summer’s over and we’re getting ready for the autumn season of Newham Bookshop Events. Dates, times and venues are shown below. More details about each event will be here soon.
- Michael Rosen, former children’s laureate, poet and broadcaster, discusses his book for adults, Good Ideas, about how to be your child’s (and your own) best teacher. He offers many ideas and practical tips to inspire anxious parents and bored children.
- We welcome the return to Stratford of our great friend and supporter Benjamin Zephaniah introducing his latest novel, Terror Kid. This event is run in partnership with Newham Monitoring Project.
- Lucinda Gosling, in Knitting for Tommy, describes the knitting craze that swept across Britain as women produced all manner of knitwear for the troops in the trenches.
- Sarah Jackson tells us about her book celebrating 100 years since the formation of the East London Suffragettes.
- Jacqueline Wilson returns to Stratford to talk about her very popular children’s books, and to celebrate the publication of her 100th book, Opal Plumstead.
We’re also running events in partnership with Bishopsgate Institute, and are the bookseller for other events there, including:
- The photographer Steve Lewis talks about his latest book, An East End Album.
- Ruth Rendell celebrates 50 years of Inspector Wexford, and introduces her new novel, The Girl Next Door.
- Owen Jones tackles The Establishment, and how they get away with it, in an eagerly awaited follow-up to Chavs.
- Kate Adie discusses the legacy of women in World War One, Fighting on the Home Front.
Saturday 20 September at 3 pm at Newham Bookshop
Please note this date, not as shown on our postcard.
Matt Dickinson will be signing copies of Bobby Moore: The Man In Full
Tuesday 16 September at 7.30 pm at Stratford Circus
Michael Rosen Good Ideas: How to be Your Child’s (and Your Own) Best Teacher
Thursday 2 October at 6.30 pm at Stratford Picturehouse
Benjamin Zephaniah Terror Kid
Monday 27 October at 7 pm at Coffee7, Forest Gate
Lucinda Gosling Knitting for Tommy
Tuesday 28 October at 7.30 pm at Bishopsgate Institute
Steve Lewis An East End Album
Wednesday 29 October at 7 pm at The Wanstead Tap
Sarah Jackson East London Suffragettes
Thursday 30 October at 7.30 pm at Bishopsgate Institute
Ruth Rendell 50 years of Inspector Wexford
Thursday 6 November at 7.30 pm at Bishopsgate Institute
Owen Jones The Establishment
Sunday 16 November at 3 pm at Stratford Circus
Jacqueline Wilson 100 books
Wednesday 3 December at 7.30 pm at Bishopsgate Institute
Kate Adie Fighting on the Home Front